At the beginning of this book (Why Darwinism Is Incompatible With The Qur'an), we saw how some Muslims portray Darwinism as a scientifically proven fact and ignore its true face. Darwinism, which provided "scientific" support for fascism and communism, the twentieth century's bloodiest ideologies, has an even darker "true" face.
These ideologies, which reached their violent peaks during the last century, were responsible for communist revolutions and fascist coups d'etat, as well as fighting, conflict, civil war, and the division of the world into two blocs. Such bloody dictators as Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco all left their marks. Some 120 million people died as a result of the cruelty inflicted by communist regimes alone, and the two world wars alone cost some 65 million lives. World War II, which began with Hitler's invasion of Poland in 1939, was a true disaster for humanity. (For details see Harun Yahya, The Disasters Darwinism Brought to Humanity, Al-Attique Publishers Inc., Ontario, 2001 and Fascism: Bloody Ideology of Darwinism, Arastirma Publishing, Istanbul, 2002)
Darwinism can be found at the ideological root of all of these political, economic, and moral catastrophes, for it nourishes and strengthens all of them.
Communism, Fascism, and Darwinism
Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, the founding fathers of communism, mentioned in their works how much Darwinism influenced them. Marx showed his sympathy for Darwin by presenting to him a copy of his book Das Kapital, in which he had written a personal note. The German edition even carried the following message in his own hand; "To Charles Darwin, from a true admirer, from Karl Marx."
Darwinism was of such importance to communism that as soon as Darwin's book was published, Engels wrote to Marx: "Darwin, whom I am just reading, is simply splendid."36
The prominent Russian communist Georgi Valentinovich Plekhanov regarded Marxism as "Darwinism in its application to social sciences."37
Hitler's most important ideological mentor, the racist German historian Heinrich von Treitschke, set out his deception in the words: "Nations could not prosper without intense competition, like the struggle for survival of Darwin,"38 thus indicating the origin of the violence at Nazism's roots. Hitler himself was a Darwinist. Taking his inspiration from the deceit of "the fight for survival" employed by Darwin, he called his own famous work Mein Kampf (My Fight). At a 1933 Nuremberg party rally, Hitler proclaimed that: "A higher race subjects to itself a lower race… a right which we see in nature and which can be regarded as the sole conceivable right, because it was founded on science."39 This shows just how much he was influenced by Darwin.
Mussolini, the leader of Italian fascism, also favored Darwinism as a worldview and tried to use it to justify Italy's invasion of Ethiopia. Franco, the Spanish dictator at that time, also reflected Darwinist ideology both in theory and in practice. (See Harun Yahya, Fascism: Bloody Ideology of Darwinism, Arastirma Publishing, Istanbul, 2002)
By saying that, according to his perverted logic, life was supposedly a fight, whichthe strong were destined to win and the weak were condemned to lose, Darwin opened the way to brute force, violence, war, conflict, and massacre on a grand scale. Dictators, who oppressed people, whether at home or abroad, were so inspired by Darwinism that they dressed themselves in its teachings. In their perverted view, the law of nature demands that the weak be crushed and destroyed and that people do not necessarily have any inherent value, since they had evolved from animals.
Defending Darwinism Facilitates Communism's Spread
Communism is an ideology hostile to the morals of religion, both in terms of the materialist philosophy upon which it is based and the historical analysis it proposes. It begins by denying Allah's existence (Allah is beyond that), and its historical analysis, which describes religion, according to its own perverted mindset, as the "opiate of the masses," calls for the eradication of religion in order to erect its envisioned communist society.
Thus all communist regimes fight religion, attack religious values, destroy places of worship, and outlaw the observance of religious obligations. Regimes in such places as the former Soviet Union, China, Cambodia, Bulgaria, and Albania have followed policies that are so anti-religious that they border upon, and sometimes lead to, genocide.
Darwinism plays an important role in Marxist ideology's hatred of religion. Darwin provided Marxist atheism with a so-called scientific basis, which explains why Marx and Engels felt such gratitude for him. Engels' praise is particularly striking:
"He (Darwin) dealt the metaphysical conception of Nature the heaviest blow by his proof that all organic beings, plants, animals, and man himself, are the products of a process of evolution going on through millions of years."40
In suggesting that Darwin had explained the evolutionary process through his theory, Engels was making a grave error. Because Darwin's theory was based on no scientific evidence whatsoever, and he was merely expressing personal opinions based on various prejudices and assumptions. Indeed, as science progressed it revealed, one by one, how none of these views proposed by Darwin had any validity at all. As time passed, all the information and findings obtained went to prove, not the theory of evolution as materialists had hoped, but the fact of creation.
Conflict lies at the heart of Marxist philosophy (dialectical materialism), which asserts that the universe functions according to the law of clashes between opposites. In other words, Darwin's asserted fight for survival in nature was now applied to human societies. Darwinism was the greatest support for communist ideology, which saw human history as a battleground and prepared the ground for further conflict.
The evolutionist P. J. Darlington explains that violence is a natural consequence of belief in this theory:
The first point is that selfishness and violence are inherent in us, inherited from our remotest animal ancestors…. Violence is, then, natural to man; a product of evolution.41
Just like their other claims, this evolutionist suggestion is untrue. With their intellect, consciences and judgment, human beings are perfectly capable of distinguishing between right and wrong. They know that feelings such as selfishness, ingratitude, anger, hatred and enmity are wrong, and also know how to avoid these evils.
Marxists believe that societies will accept their ideology if they bring them to believe in Darwinism. They attach so much importance to Darwin's deceit that "violence and conflict are unchanging natural laws." This is why all communist-oriented terrorist organizations give their militants months of training in communism, dialectical materialism, and Darwinism. Darwin's theory encourages these people to believe that they are actually animals, and that just like animals, people must fight for survival. Thus many young people become monsters quite capable of killing and even ruthlessly slaughtering children and babies.
In this way, communist ideology led to guerrilla and civil wars and bloody acts of terrorism in numerous countries throughout the twentieth century. That is why the intellectual struggle against Darwinism is so important: If Darwinism is exposed as the fallacy that it is and then collapses, Marxist philosophies based upon it will crumble. Since Darwinism has such an important role to play in anti-religious communist ideology, supporting one means supporting the other. Trying to justify Darwinism by seeking to reconcilie it with religion and claiming that Allah used evolution to create living things –although this has no truth in it-, means justifying communism. The communists know that religion and Darwinism are incompatible, but remain silent when confronted with religious people who accept evolutionary creation so that both ideologies can spread easily and even further afield. The important thing is to first open a door to the acceptance of Darwinism.
He (Darwin) dealt the metaphysical conception of Nature the heaviest blow by his proof that all organic beings, plants, animals, and man himself, are the products of a process of evolution going on through millions of years..
The communists' belief in evolution stems from their blind devotion to their ideology. For instance Robert Shapiro, an evolutionist professor of chemistry and DNA expert, says that the theory's basic claim that inanimate substances organized themselves and formed DNA and RNA is based on no scientific fact at all. He continues:
Another evolutionary principle is therefore needed to take us across the gap from mixtures of simple natural chemicals to the first effective replicator. This principle has not yet been described in detail or demonstrated, but it is anticipated, and given names such as chemical evolution and self-organization of matter. The existence of the principle is taken for granted in the philosophy of dialectical materialism...42
As Shapiro has stated, evolutionists continue to defend the theory of evolution due to their dogmatic adherence to materialist philosophy. This indicates that any support given to this theory also means direct support for materialist philosophy, the spread of which inevitably prepares the ground for communist ideology's entrance into a given society. This link reveals how communist ideology draws its strength from Darwinism.
Muslims who support the theory of evolution need to think about this truth. They must not share a common perspective with communists, who have been and remain the fiercest enemies of religion, and/or support a view that is supposedly the "scientific" basis of communism. This becomes even more important when we consider that communism has not died, but is still holding out in authoritarian regimes like North Korea and, most dangerously, still dominating the political system and political culture of China, despite her superficial "capitalist" outlook.
One of the most important and yet least-known aspects of Darwin is his racism: Darwin regarded white Europeans as more "advanced" than other human races. Presuming that man evolved from ape-like creatures, he surmised that some races developed more than others and that the latter still bore simian features. In his book, The Descent of Man, which he published after The Origin of Species, he boldly commented on "the greater differences between men of distinct races."43 In his book, Darwin held blacks and Australian Aborigines to be equal to gorillas and then inferred that these would be "done away with" by the "civilized races" in time. He said:
At some future period, not very distant as measured by centuries, the civilized races of man will almost certainly exterminate and replace the savage races throughout the world. At the same time the anthropomorphous apes... will no doubt be exterminated. The break between man and his nearest allies will then be wider, for it will intervene in a more civilized state, as we may hope, even than the Caucasian, and some ape as low as baboon, instead of as now between the negro or Australian and the gorilla.44
Darwin's nonsensical ideas were not only theorized, but also given a degree of scientific and social respectability that enabled them to provide the most important "scientific ground" for racism. Supposing that living beings evolved in the struggle for life, Darwinism soon was applied to the social sciences. Known as "Social Darwinism," this new ideology contends that existing human races are located at different rungs of the "evolutionary ladder," that the European races are the most "advanced" of all, and that many other races still bear "ape-like" features.
Moreover, Darwinism does not rest with preparing the ground for racist attacks, for it also allows all kinds of separatist and destructive actions. This "life is a fight" principle has created an argument that justifies putting other people living peacefully in the same country into concentration camps, as well as the use of violence and brute force, war, death, and murder.
However, Muslims who realize that Allah has created them and everything else, that Allah has breathed His soul into them, that the world is a place of peace and brotherhood, that all people are equal, and that each person will be punished in the Hereafter for whatever he or she has done in this world cannot harm others. Only those, who believe that they came into existence by chance, have no responsibility to anyone, will never have to account for their actions, and believe that the world is a place of conflict can engage in such activities.
That is why Muslims should listen to their consciences before accepting Darwinism, and why they should understand the true price of backing a theory that science itself refutes. The damage Darwinism has done to humanity is clear. The tragedies, suffering, and conflict it leads to also are well known. As we have seen throughout this chapter, the way in which people are brought to believe in irrational and illogical ideas and concepts should convince us that Darwinism is a grave danger.
3. David Skjaerlund, Philosophical Origins of Evolution, (http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/x0742-philosophical-origin.html)
6. David Skjaerlund, Philosophical Origins of Evolution, (http://www.forerunner.com/forerunner/x0742-philosophical-origin.html)
8. Maurice Manquat, Aristote naturaliste, Paris: Librairie Philosophique, J. Vrin, 1932, p. 113
9. Sir Fred Hoyle & Chandra Wickramasinghe Prof of Astronomy, Cambridge University Prof of Astronomy and Applied Mathematics University College, Cardiff Evolution from Space, J. M. Dent, 1981, pp.141, 144
10. Pierre-Paul Grasse, Evolution of Living Organisms, Academic Press, New York, 1977, p.103
11. Fred Hoyle, Chandra Wickramasinghe, Evolution from Space, Dent, London, 1981, p.130
12. The evolutionary scenario related to the origin of life is called the theory of chemical evolution. Countless experiments conducted during the twentieth century failed to support this theory. Stanley Miller's experiment, the most famous case, consisted of his alleged "creation" of a primitive atmosphere and the subsequent synthesis of a few amino acids. However it was later recognized that the primitive atmosphere was far more hostile to organic compounds than Miller had assumed. No one has ever been able to duplicate the assembling of proteins, the real building bock of life, in any"chemical evolution" experiment. For details, see Harun Yahya, Darwinism Refuted, Goodword Books, New Delhi, 2003.
13. Pierre-Paul Grasse, Evolution of Living Organisms, Academic Press, New York, 1977, p.97
14. The History of Darwinism includes some notorious examples of faked evidence. The "Piltdown Man," displayed in the British Museum for nearly half a century as "man's primitive ancestor," turned out to be a hoax perpetrated by joining an orangutan's jaw to a human skull. German biologist Ernst Haeckel faked the drawings of human and animal embryos to make them look similar, and his false drawings mislead academia for many decades. Ketllewells' famous photographs of "industrial melanism", showing the peppered moths of Britain, was recently exposed as madeup scenes in which dead specimens were glued to tree trunks. The stunning "dinobird," given the scientific name of Archaeoraptor and which shook the world in 1998, turned out to be a hoax fabricated by sticking together five different fossils from different species. For details, see Harun Yahya, Darwinism Refuted, Goodword Books, New Delhi, 2003.
15. Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, New York: The Modern Library, pp. 124-25, 249)
16. Prof. N. Heribert Nilsson, Lund University, Sweden. Famous botanist and evolutionist, as quoted in: The Earth Before Man, p.51, (http://www.netcentro.co.uk/steveb/penkhull/create3.htm)(Emphasis added)
17. T. Neville George, "Fossils in Evolutionary Perspective", Science Progress, vol 48, January 1960, pp. 1,3 (Emphasis added)
18. Mark Czarnecki, "The Revival of the Creationist Crusade", MacLean's, January 19, 1981, p. 56
19. Henry Gee, In Search of Deep Time, New York, The Free Press, 1999, pp.116-117.
20. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 384 (Emphasis added)
21. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 383
22. Mayr, Ernst, "Darwin and Natural Selection", American Scientist, vol.65 (May/June, 1977) p. 323 (Emphasis added)
23. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 383
24. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 383
25. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 384
26. The Autobiography of Charles Darwin with the original omissions restored Edited by his grand daughter Nora Barlow, Collins, 1958, p 93
27. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 385
28. Francis Darwin, The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, D. Appleton and Co., 1896
29. Gertrude Himmerfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 384
30. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 381 (Emphasis added)
31. Gertrude Himmelfarb, Darwin and the Darwinian Revolution, Elephant Paperbacks, Chicago, 1962, p. 382
32. Francis Darwin, The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, D. Appleton and Co., 1896, Chapter 1.VIII., Religion.
33. Francis Darwin, The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, D. Appleton and Co., 1896, Chapter 1.VIII., Religion.
34. Francis Darwin, The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, Charles Darwin to C. Lyell, D. Appleton and Co., 1896, Down, April .
35. Francis Darwin, The Life and Letters of Charles Darwin, D. Appleton and Co., 1896, CHAPTER 2.XVI.
36. Conway Zirkle, Evolution, Marxian Biology and the Social Scene, Philadelphia; the University of Pennsylvania Press, 1959, p. 527 (Emphasis added)
37. Robert M. Young, Darwinian Evolution and Human History, Radio talk given in an Open University course on Darwin to Einstein: Historical Studies on Science and Belief, 1980 (Emphasis added)
38. L. Poliakov, Le Mythe Aryen, Editions Complexe, Calmann Lévy, Bruxelles, 1987, p. 343 (Emphasis added)
39. Carl Cohen, Communism, Fascism and Democracy, New York: Random House Publishing, 1967, pp. 408-409 (Emphasis added)
40. Fredrick Engels, Socialism: Utopian and Scientific, Part II: Science of Dialectics, (http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1880/soc-utop/ch02.htm)
41. P. J. Darlington, Evolution for Naturalists, NY: Wiley, 1980, pp. 243-244
42. Robert Shapiro, Origins: A Sceptic's Guide to the Creation of Life on Earth, Summit Books, New York, 1986, p. 207. (Emphasis added)
43. Benjamin Farrington, What Darwin Really Said, London: Sphere Books, 1971, pp. 54-56
44. Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man, 2nd ed., New York: A.L. Burt Co., 1874, p. 178